An activity for accessing learning materials without a teacher (30 mins)
Choose a reading text for your level from a website for learning English . Your teacher can give you suggestions.
Complete the tasks you find useful. You could spend up to 60 mins depending on how many tasks you choose and how carefully you want to read. Here is an example.
Remember to refer to the top tips for reading texts designed for learning English.
Tips for using reading texts designed for learning English
- Choose a text designed for your level
- Aim to understand the main message of what you read.
- The material may include some exercises to do before and after you read as well as questions to answer about what you read. Choose the ones you find most useful.
- Look up a few words if you think they are important to understanding the meaning or interesting for you to learn.
- Make a note in your notebook or a computer doc of useful new words you find
- Some sites include the opportunity to listen to someone reading the text. This is a great way to practise listening too and doesn’t take a lot of extra time. You may also have the chance to write a comment about what you have read on a forum. Do this if you have time.