Here’s a listening activity designed to make you hungry!
Spaghetti Bolognese is one of Italy’s most famous dishes. You may have made a bolognese sauce yourself. If you haven’t, you must have eaten one or simply heard about it.
Write a list of ingredients you put in your recipe or write the ingredients you think may be in it
Watch the following video and compare your list of ingredients with the “authentic ingredients”.
What were the differences? Make notes.
Watch the video again and get the general idea of the content. Here are some guide questions to help you.
- Why is the Italian chef concerned?
- Do most people know what is in the sauce?
- What do the other people put in their bognese sauce?
- Is the sauce normally eaten with spaghetti?
- What is the reporter’s opinion of the dish?
(You can do this exercise with any online video or DVD you have)
Choose a sentence in the video that you don’t understand.
- Count the number of words that you think you hear.
- Write spaces in your notebook to represent the words, e.g:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Listen to the sentence again and try to fill in the spaces.
- Listen to it as many times as you need to build up the sentence.
- Do you understand more each time you listen?
- If you can’t understand everything, email the link to your teacher. Ask your teacher to do it in class and help you.
Listen to the clip again. Do you understand it better this time?
(an optional extra) Make some spaghetti bolognese!